It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-01-02

First day back to work

In some versions of Linux, if you try to log in (ssh) to a machine while it is in some stage of shutting down it will complain 'You don't exist. Go away!' That cracks me up every time I get it. This is one of the symptoms of open source.

I did look through five labs today hunting down a box. Found it eventually. Had to ask people. It is not the first time someone wondered in to a strange lab and asked "Have y'all seen abcdefg server?" You get shrugged shoulders. Then, the fifth group of people, one points and says "It's in the lab round the corner." And, you rejoice. Then you get to fix the damn thing.

It was a pretty busy day. Some tests found some bugs. Just like they were supposed to. The long time off seems to have shaken out some playfulness in the software. That is why we test.

Jake and Matt had a deep philosophical discussion about user issues.

 Work Work

The day went pretty quickly. It felt like I had been gone about four days. We stopped at Sam's Club on the way home. I wrote out the bills while Nat made dinner. I still have to do the cat box. I hate doing the cat box. I hate doing the cat box. I hate doing the cat box. Notice, I'm headed that way. And enthusiastically too.

Elle is trying to argue about a bath. Elle wants one and Nat says she gets one tomorrow.

No comments: