It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-01-18

Death of the DVD

I've heard a couple of news folks announce the death of the DVD as Apple announces the rental service for movies over iTunes. I hate to tell you, but people like to own something. I know it pisses me off every time Nat gets a new phone and starts buying the same ring tones she had on her old phone all over again. This has happened a couple times now. The same thing is coming down the pike with DVDs.

There will be something that is used for computer data. I predict it will be something based on the current flash media cards. I've already noticed some flash based drives coming down the line. There was a removable media disk that was like one inch across that held eighty gigs or something crazy.I don't know what the numbers are. They change daily.

A while back someone told me they bought a video camera that was a DVD recorder. I thought it was kind of cool that you could take a finished DVD straight from you camera to the player, but I though "DVDs are going the way of the floppy disk some day." I remember one of the very early digital cameras that saved to a floppy disk. Floppies were already circling the bowl when it came out.

My shelf is packed with CD holders filled with CDs and DVDs. They have every kind of data on them. Many years ago someone questioned the value of DVD and CD as a backup tool. They based their claim on the longevity of the medium. I thought when I read the article that something else would have come along by then.

Honestly, I'm not worried about it.

No comments: