It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-11-14

Work Stuff

Foible

We, like every other software development team, use a code repository software. This means we check out copies of stuff, modify it and then check it back in. The changes are all zippered together. Conflicts are noted and handled as they come up. This is the only way multiple developers can work on a project at the same time with out things coming to blows on an hourly basis.

Sometimes I have to log in as a functional user ( a non existent user only used for specific tasks ) The couple of times I have to check in some code, I'm supposed to put my name in the check in to make sure we know who committed the change. I cannot get myself to remember. I do not know what the deal is. It must be simple habit. It is not a hard fast rule. It is just a good idea really.

Up Time

My computer at work has Red Hat Enterprise Workstation 5.0. It has been up now for 30 days. That means without a reboot. I do everything on it. I don't hold back. I dare say that a Wincrap box would not have lasted this long. Especially with only half a gig of RAM to work with.

The machine has slowed down, but not any more than happens around day three. It won't beat the VMS system at my old job. That server stayed up over a year without a boot. The performance never wavered. It sucked start to finish.

No comments: