It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-09-23

Talking

I finally got Pidgin (the program formally known as GAIM) working on my Linux box. It now supports MySpace chat or so they say. I have had zero chance to try it out because none of my geek buddies use MySpace chat. No one seems to use chat any more. We just text each other when we don't want to talk to each other on the phone.

I tried using the YUM install of GAIM/Pidgin from fedora or livna. It had an error when I ran it. Something about a missing object. Blah blah. It's broke. I hunted down the error on the web. There is a "minor" bug listed that says something to the effect that the bug is not getting fixed.

I download the source and build the package. It takes me a moment to get it to install in the correct location. Now, I can only run it only when using sudo. It does work though. Now I remember why I hadn't bothered getting it to work in so long.

There is a source RPM from the Fedora project of the version of Pidgin I need. I'm going to give it a try. Sometimes they do a good job, but It worries me that the RPM on the repo is broken. This is a beta build for the Fedora folks.
...
Low and behold. The exact same error.


> pidgin
GTK Accessibility Module initialized
libnm_glib_nm_state_cb: dbus returned an error.
  (org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown) The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files


Conclusion

Build Pidgin on your box manually and just run it as sudo. That is the only way to get the crappy software to work.

No comments: