It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-09-29

No American Engineers


I am a new graduate student in Computer Engineering. I would like to get my MS and possibly my Ph.D. I have learned that 90% of my department is from India and many others are from China. All the students come here to study and there are only 7 US citizens in the engineering program this year. Why is that? I have heard that many of the smarter Americans go into medicine or the law and that is why there are so few Americans in engineering. Is this true?

90%. I'm surprised it isn't 100%. What are you doing there? Don't you know you are going to have to live in India to find a job in that field? The only jobs left in North American in 20 years are going to involve handing food through a window.

What that means is that people in the US are not stupid. They know that all of those jobs are being outsourced to other countries. So, they stop taking the courses that will lead them to a career that will let them starve to death.

Let's face it. Not many people waist their parent's money on degrees that will get them absolutely nowhere. We have families to feed. We have phone bills to pay. We need to get all those Chinese bits of junk from Wal-Mart. I own a pare of shoes made in America. They are boots for Faire. Do you own a pare of shoes made in America/?

2 comments:

obiwanchunn said...

Now just a minute.

You know you work in an engineering firm made entirely up of American engineers, more than half are right out of school.

The issue is that foreign students feel they need to get a masters or PhD degree in order to compete with American engineers. Hence their dominance in graduate schools.

When I was going to school for my bachelor's degree, any American in the grad program was there because he wasn't good enough to get a job. And everyone knew it.

Grad school engineering is overkill, Universities don't have enough money to stay on the technological edge -- you get a better "education" on the job.

zhsy00001 said...

That's one engineer's opinion.

=]