It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-07-26

Refugee Status

The UN is big on Refugees. You can't listen to a story about the UN without hearing something about people kicked off their land because someone else wants it or says it was their's first. It kind of makes me think of imminent domain and Wal-Mart. It is a bad thing to get kicked out of your place and suddenly need to go somewhere else and make a living.

I listened to a woman ball on the BBC for ten minutes about all the things she lost because of a war. One was her daughter. Nothing is going to bring her daughter back. Everything else is about money and having to move and educate her children. All I could think about is how I'm close to a similar situation. If I miss one house payment I'm on the street. I don't have any savings. I don't have much backup besides family and friends. The guy who came on after was some official that suggested she register as a refugee and ask for help. This was in some middle eastern country.

Where is my refugee status? Ask a homeless person down town if they have registered. If I find myself in another country and broke, can I call the UN and get a sandwich?

No comments: