It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-07-10

Executive Decision

I'm starting to understand how colossal cluster SNAFUs happen in big business. When I was at my old job in the huge corporation, I never felt part of what actually ended up on the ground at a plant. I was many layers removed from everything. At my current job, I have found myself making decisions based purely on my own experience and not bothering any one else with the details.  it is really annoying when other people do this and end up screwing up something I put so magnificently put together. It is bad for others to have to fix your code. There is a point though where it becomes a direction change and not a fix. I'm not there yet.

It is a constant battle trying to decide what to do with things. How should an error message look? At what point do you abort something? What should the name of a file that everyone including customers will see? Just How much information should go in the name of an RPM file? How much testing is really necessary for an in-house program? There are a million of them. There is no comity to present to. I ask people's opinion and get "Whatever!" more often than not.

No comments: