It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-05-29

Ubuntu Roundabout

So, I'm installing Ubuntu 6.10 on a box. This box already has Ubuntu 6.01 on it.  I boot off the CD. It takes ten minutest to boot the CD which takes you in to a live version of Ubuntu. No biggy. Thank goodness the "Install" icon is on the desktop. I click install and wait. It finds the hard drive. It finds the internet. It asks me where to install the OS. I try to tell it. The existing partition has an OS on it. Ubuntu won't use it as is. I hit "manual partitioning". I delete the existing partitions (killing my web page). It won't let me go back to th3e automatic partitioning section. I had to boot off the CD again. I set it for automatic partitioning. I install. All is well.

I start looking in to getting things up and running. I can't find the frigging http daemon config file. I can't find the correct service information. I can't find the Samba stuff. I can't get VNC to install the server right. I'm thinking "What a pain in the ass. I'm going to have to learn this stuff all over again." No biggy, but I could just wait a couple of days and get Fedora 7. At least I know where things are in Fedora for the most part. It is easier to set up an http server in my opinion. The firewall is easier to manipulate. So, I waited.

I downloaded the Fedora 7 RC2 DVD last night. I burned it. I looked at my watch and decided I didn't have the time or energy to go through another install. Tonight I mowed the yard. The install on my web/aMule server is running as I type.

No comments: