It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-04-19

Web Development Without Web Access
I'm the only web developer in history who does not have internet access. I have to run back and forth to a lab when I'm working on the web pages. EVERYTHING to do do with web development assumes you have internet access and just provides links to the documentation in stead of the documentation. They only give references to data in stead of data. They link to each other for examples in stead of just quoting. It is maddening. Even clicking on help in some of the programs wants to bring up an internet link instead of a help file.
I'm going nuts.
I have to email myself stuff and shuttle information back and forth. Then, I find one link that I need to follow. Well, that is another trip. The lab is not far. the trip is not difficult, but It is just a click verses:
# Copy the link to an email and send it to myself.
# Locking my machine
# Walk to the lab area where there might be someone who needs to ask a question, or someone in the hall who needs something and there I happen to be.
# Log in to the internet box.
# Bring up email
# Log in to the email.
# Click on the link.
# Find out it isn't what I needed, or maybe it is.
# Double check if there are any other resources I will need (hardly ever fruitful)
# Close email.
# log out of internet box.
# Wonder back to my office after hitting the restroom or grabbing a soda. Get stopped in the hall again.
# Logging into my workstation.
# Stare at the email for a moment trying to remember what I was doing.
# Read three lines. Try to apply what it says. It is wrong, or not right for what I needed.
# I need another link.
It is maddening. And this is if I do not get side traced by someone needing my vast gray-database. (brain)

No comments: