It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-03-29

Near Miss
Saw a car flip over tonight. Nat has told the details like nine times to any one who would listen. She is shaken up over it.
We were stopped waiting for the light at Westheimer and 6. When there was a crunch behind us. Out of the corner of my eye I see the Jeep Cherokee next to us lurch towards us as the guy behind the wheel flexes hard standing on the break. He was already at a stop. Then I see, through his windows, the wheels of a vehicle (Dodge Durango) role past. Not the wheels, the vehicle. It came to a stop and there were shouts and people started getting out of their cars. The woman driving the Durango was pinned. Her son was able to get out.
Let me try to explain what was going on.
  • Heavy traffic all trying to get to highway 6. Bumper to bumper. Not really moving at this point.
  • Little black car pulling out of Academy, stops to let the Durango go by.
  • Blue car turning left from the East bound side of Westheimer starts crossing the lanes of traffic to get into the Academy parking lot.
  • The Durango was East bound in the far right lane and didn't see the blue car.
  • Durango hits front right of blue car sending it into the green Jeep Cherokee next to us. (under is more like)
  • The Durango gets knocked to the right and hits the black car at an odd angle nearly crushing the small car.
  • Durango, now sideways flips.
  • Durango also hits the Green Jeep next to us.
  • Our car was hit by debris from at least one of the cars. There is a tinny green smudge on the back passenger panel. I remember no sensation of impact.
I'm sure I'm not doing it justice. At some point a green Ford explorer got rear ended too. I've gone over this ten times in my head and I bet the Blue car crossing the street turning left may get a ticket. I don't think the Durango was going that fast. It rolled, but then again, it is a 4x4 SUV.
Nat was out of the car and on 911 in a shot. I had to tell her not to get between the cars. I've heard too many horror stories about people getting squashed between cars after an accident.
My first impulse was to jump out and start taking pictures. That is rude in that situation. I stayed in the car and kept Elle company. Elle never freaked out. Nat pulled us into the Academy parking lot, via the other entrance. Elle and I sat there for a few minutes and then got out to watch the mayhem. Elle tried to wave at the ambulance driver and got upset when he didn't wave back. I tried to explain to her that they were very busy.
My Summery is that all three of our guardian angels were on the job.

1 comment:

Celtic Gypsy said...

Honey, I love you...but you have half of the story wrong. I have my post up. I am sure that I forgot some of it.