It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-01-16

Rotten Door
So, Nat calls me yesterday and says the "bottom of the back door fell off." That sounded pretty ominous. It was the plastic sweeper thing that is tacked to the bottom of the door. We stopped at Home Depot and got a new one. I really hate that place.
I had to cut the strip to fit with a hack saw. It looks like that is what the last person did too. The bottom of the door is wet and rotten. I was trying to pop the new strip in place with the door still up, but it just wasn't in the cards. Once I got the door down, I figured out that the damage is pretty bad. There was basically no wood left to screw in to. I went and got some longer nails and used them. There is still a gap under the door. I crammed in some sponge insulation, but it still sucks.
We are going to need a new door. Nat didn't like that one anyway. She doesn't like the glass in the door. I agree. I would rather have a solid door too. It will cut down on the light in the living room a bit. That is a good thing in my book.
I need to find someone who can recognize termite damage. Before I get rid of the door I really want someone who knows what they are talking about tell me that was or was not termites. I need to do some maintenance on the back door area and the little step we have out there. Nat noticed a piece of wood in the front flower bed. I nearly cried and hoped it hadn't fallen off the house. Fortunately, it was just a stick.
My buddy says the only way he was able to salve his back door sealing problems was to put in a storm door. That sounds like a great idea. I may have to do the same thing at some point. He mentioned an over-hang might work too, but I have no protection from the North East which is the direction that all the northers come in from in my neck of the woods. I like the storm door idea, but I do not look forward to installing the damn thing.
It is so wonderful being a home owner.

No comments: