It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-01-19

Bank
I called one of the banks I use this morning. They have some information incorrect. I wanted to get it changed. Well, I can't do it over the phone. I can't get into the web page until I go in to the branch and correct the data. I'm not even sure that will work. I can withdrawal all my money and close all the accounts over the phone, but not get a single piece of data changed. That tells me the information is more important than the money to them.
I remember a couple of years ago one of the news shows did an expose on how easy it was to open an account and start using it as ID without any real paperwork or very much effort. I bet this embarrassed the banks in to the opposite direction.Now you can't do much beyond pay bills and move money around online. Even at that, moving money from one institution to another has become a chore.
Just how bad has online and phone bank fraud gotten? it is a bit like the new sealed plastic containers holding merchandise on store shelves. you know the ones. They are a full millimeter thick plastic that you need a pare of tin-snips to get through. You will ruin a pare of sizers trying to cut into them. Half the time I end up cutting myself on the exposed plastic while attempting to free the bobble I've purchased that isn't worth anything for resale. This too is a response to people steeling from the stores. Someone will slip an item out of the packaging and in to their pocket. odds are, the anti-theft device is on the packaging. Make the packaging a pain it the ass to open and you make the device harder to steal.
So, once again, the honest, law abiding citizen pays for the actions of criminals from both ends. We pay for the more expensive packaging and the longer time it takes to get our data changed with higher prices at the end of it all. We spend more time trying to get our item or service than the criminals would spend in jail (on the whole).
There is just too much shit to worry about these days. Humans are not getting dumber, we are just getting more and more overwhelmed.

No comments: