It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-01-06

$400 is cheaper than $150 according to Microsoft

Forget windows, folders and boxes that pop up with text. When students in Thailand, Libya and other developing countries get their $150 computers from the One Laptop Per Child project in 2007, their experience will be unlike anything on standard PCs.
...
"In fact, one of the saddest but most common conditions in elementary school computer labs (when they exist in the developing world), is the children are being trained to use Word, Excel and PowerPoint," Negroponte wrote in an e-mail interview. "I consider that criminal, because children should be making things, communicating, exploring, sharing, not running office automation tools."


I'll bet Microsoft doesn't want this thing making it's way into the hands of children all over the world. I envision Microsoft giving away computers to schools and organizations that will guarantee that MS products are the tools that make their way in to impressionable hands. Apple tried it many years ago. They failed. So will MS. People hate the U. S. enough to hate the highest prophet company there in.
But, what do I know. I just think these things are cool. I wont one. It sounds like it will do most of the crap I need on a daily basis from a laptop.
Oh, Some countries say the $400 PC from MS/Intel is better for kids because it is the standard. I think they will use this device to get a better price on the WinTell box.

No comments: