It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-11-29

Yum
My goodness. I'm learning a bunch about Yum and RPM. I was handed a book by my boss a couple of weeks ago and last week I got a deadline to have a "beta" repository up and running. I have all but a test client. The hardest part is finding the proper set of data out there i the universe. In order for updates to work you have to have the same starting point for your files as you installed on your system. Then you apply updates as you go.
It is both simpler and more complicated than I expected. It is funny that way. Most computer stuff is like that it seems. Some parts are a piece of cake and others are a nightmare. if only I could make a living on the former. No, I have to scrape out a living on the latter.

I do like this bit out of the INSTALL instructions for the source of Yum.

run make
run make install, if you're a masochist.
you're better off making an rpm and installing it

I like open source projects. It is a nice reminder the humans wrote the software. Well, I made an RPM and installed it.

1 comment:

Victor said...

"you're better off making an rpm and installing it"

Yeah. I've just come across that myself. Not to fond of Yellow Dog at the moment despite its close relationship to Fedora.