It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-09-20

Left Handed Mouse
I use the mouse left handed. I am really right handed. The first mouse I ever used was on an Amiga in the eighties. I had a Commodore 64 for a while. I then graduated to an Apple IIe. I remember that computer the most. I did some of my first programming on it. Apple IIe machines were what we had in computer science. No hard drive. No network. I had a modem on my computers and surfed the BBS world. Every one was a troll or a punk who wanted to screw with your head. I had a couple of people help me out.
Then it happened. I got a PC. This was the computer that ended up with a mouse. I wanted to learn AutoCAD and some other programs that were only available on the PC at the time. I remember dealing with High-Mem one a program by program basis. One package required using one memory manager and another program did it's own management. It was normal to have five or six configurations and have a menu at the computer startup that listed different paths. What a mess.
I used the mouse left handed on that machine. I have almost always done it. I have to think to use my right hand on the pointer. I tried for the longest time in Windows to use the left handed mouse buttons, but it never worked as advertised. Now, I'm in a lab environment and there must be seventy machines. I'm so glad I got used to just using my middle finger in stead of my index. I use the stiles on my palm left handed too. I cannot write left handed, but I can do that little language for Palm OS that way. I try to shoot left handed to stay in practice and I use chopsticks left handed. I eat ambidextrously with a fork and spoon. I've been told I don't cut meat properly because i don't switch hands after cutting it.
I read somewhere that financial people tend to use the mouse left handed because they have to used their right hand on the numeric key-pad. I'm not sure how common this practice may be. I knew someone who used a detachable numeric keypad left handed for that very reason.

No comments: