It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-08-29

The Price of Success
Western culture can no longer have great successes. We have forbidden ourselves from celebrating the good that comes from making big things happen. We cannot win a war. We cannot conquer space. We cannot find curs for tough diseases. All these require sacrifice and there will always be those who try to attain their fifteen minutes via exploiting that sacrifice and saying "The price was too high".
I remember reading about WWII and the metal collection drives, the fuel rationing, food rationing, cigarettes that lost the green ink on the pack. All were simple sacrifices. We won that war. We celebrated.
During Vietnam, I remember the access the country went to. I remember reading about increases in wage, super concerts, brand new cars, vacations all over the world. We lost that war. We morned.
My father once told me "You can't have it all, all the time. Something as got to give." He meant sacrifice. In accounting they call it opportunity cost. When you buy one thing it may very well keep you from buying another. You must weigh the consequences of both choices and make a decision. When I decide on a car, I don't have someone waiting until I pick then following me around telling me I made the wrong choice regardless of what choice I made. I know some spouses like that. (No, not you Nat, you are a supportive wife)
It is easier than ever for people to complain. It used to be that someone had to produce a paper to reach the masses. You had to raise funds, step on toes, make some noise. Not any more. I have access to a huge chunk of the people in the world just by blathering on this blog daily. True, I have about ten hits a day thanks to my mom and Nat, but that is beside the point. It has become very easy to be heard. Perhaps too easy. The listeners must now filter the information themselves.
My point is, don't believe everything you read or hear out there in the world. People who put down those who are trying to do some good may just be trying to get their name in lights. People who have a cause may just be trying to hold a group together or get on TV. Some times people are just not sincere. Be a skeptic. Ask questions. Complain intelligently. Support your claims. Back up your opinion. Make observations. Admit you are wrong when you know you are wrong. Step back and say "They are all full of shit." every now and then.
Then, when you know and feel and believe ... stand your ground.

1 comment:

Celtic Gypsy said...

Honey,
You only get one or two hits, off of me, a week. That is how often I turn on my computer and check my email.