It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-08-13

New Machine
Elle needs her own computer all ready. It needs to be a windows box because her educational games only work under that antiquated platform. It will help her learn important skills needed to succeed in the world today, and tomorrow.
Now that I have given you the official line, I get to set up a new server. (yes!) My parents are not doing what every one else in the world does with old computers. Normally, people leave it in the closet until it is so far out of date as to be useless to any one for anything that does not involve recycling. My parents gave us a computer for Elle. I'm using it to replace my two old severs and giving Elle the better of those two for her own. I need to find a case for it. This will lower power consumption and centralize my server efforts. It also replaces one of my Windows machines with Linux. I'm using Ubuntu 6.06. I have the hardest time setting up VNC on these machines. Right now I have to log in to the box using ssh and kick off the vncserver. This sounds easy to do, but I have to figure out how to run VNC as a service and get it to log in as "me" on the machine in the process. I almost think i would rather just log in and do it by hand. Most of the things I want to do on the box do not require a GUI anyway.
I use the server for three tasks. FTP, HTTP and eDonkey/overnet/aMule (aMule). I now have a computer that will run all three. This is many times cool because I will now only have to leave one computer running all the time. This should work out well. Now, if only I had NTFS support on Linux already. It sounds like NTFS support will come in on Linux right about the time MS abandons it for some other file system. Figures.

No comments: