It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-08-28

Linux Question
I to a bunch of testing over the network at my job. This is nothing special Every software company does it. My current method of testing is to ssh into a host machine and pop up a bunch of tests running in xterm windows. If anything happens to the network on either end, the whole test suite goes ka-flooy.
I've experimented with running on the local system. That is far more stable of course. If I VNC into the local box, kick off the test. Then disconnect VNC. Then reconnect via VNC when I want to check up on the progress. Is this any more stable? I know VNC is not the most stable program. But if it is not actively talking over the network, will it still crash, or leave the processes running regardless of network activity?
I'm going to have to run some tests. I need to do this on a box and unplug it from the network for a half hour or so. Then, plug it back in and try to connect. If the tests are still running, I may have a more stable method of running my tests. The act of unplugging the network would kill all the xterms over the network thus killing all my tests.
I just don't trust VNC as far as I can throw flaming Dell laptop. It is good for some thing, but just not very stable in the long run. I cannot bring myself to even think it is the more stable solution in any case. How is that for program prejudice?

No comments: