It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-12-29

Katrina Crime Wave

The task force is the second program to increase police presence that the city has unveiled in recent weeks, amid concerns about manpower and a swelling homicide rate up nearly 25 percent over last year and 70 percent this month.
Many of the problem areas fall in southwest Houston, particularly in apartment complexes housing numerous Katrina evacuees, White and Hurtt said.

I live in an apartment complex in South West Houston. I know for a fact that there are many Louisiana evacuees in my complex. I know for a fact that my wife has been harassed by someone from Louisiana in the complex in the last couple of months. I know that the only reason I do not move is because I'm broke.
More

A brawl that began in the Westbury High School cafeteria Wednesday and spilled outdoors capped weeks of growing tension between Houston students and Hurricane Katrina evacuees and resulted in the arrest of 27 students.
...
"After Katrina, I hate to say it, but it's been chaos," she said. "It's really sad. It's truly sad."
Some Houston students said the once-open social atmosphere at the school has become charged with new tensions since New Orleans students joined their classes.
"The first two years I was here, we hung together, everyone knew each other," said a 17-year-old junior. "They just don't like people from Houston ... There's been a whole bunch of fights," he said.

Westbury High School (Map)
We live north of tat location by quite a bit. It doesn't make me feel any better. I keep hearing more and more evidence of conflict. I've heard rumors that my complex is going to raise rates next year because they are basically filled up with evacuees. It all makes me want to move far, far away.
Hearsay
I've heard that the list of cities with the highest murder rates only counted cities with more than 400,000 residents. If New Orleans had qualified it would have been the murder capital by a large margin for the last several decades. I have no proof of this. I cannot find a link.
Conclusion
How am I supposed to worry about all the crazy crap going on in the Middle East, China, the UN, Europe, Africa, Russia, and indeed the rest of the universe when bad things are happening in my back yard?

No comments: