It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-11-18

Linux
I've touted using Linux. I've bitched about getting things to work in Linux. I'm switching back to Ubuntu because I found some fare documentation for getting other software working in Ubuntu. I know Apache 2 can be installed on the desktop version of Ubuntu. I'm just slow to take it on. I don't trust my own skills. The documentation above makes it look pretty straight forward. I definitely like the feel of Ubuntu better and it is not just KDE verses Gnome. The community is more user oriented. I remember the Red Hat forums. They expected you to know your shit before you got there. That spawned LinuxNewbie.org, now JustLinux. I've referred to their teaching a couple of hundred times while setting up SSH, FTP, HTTP, VNC and SMB. I never have set up an email server  because I prefer web based email services like gmail.
When I ask people why they refuse to consider Linux, they usually answer by saying Linux doesn't support XYZ application. I tell them, first XYZ doesn't support Linux. Second, is there a different application that does the same thing on Linux? If not, how important is it to getting a day's work done? Saying XYZ doesn't work in Linux is a bit like saying "I can't put my Ford rims on a Toyota, so I'm not going to get a Toyota." They make rims for Toyotas, why will they not work? With the exception of specific games, there is most likely an alternative program in Linux to cover most tasks.
That is, with the one huge exception. Intuit Quicken is the one program that people mention as a show-stopper for conversion. There are money management programs that will import and export Quicken information and have some of the functionality of Quicken that run just fine on Linux. As far as I know, Quicken has no intention of porting Quicken or any of it's products to Linux at this time. Hey, their loss. You can run Quicken on Linux using Wine. Wine will not run a bunch of software. Games are notorious for requiring more than Wine provides. I'll get a PS2/3. The PlayStation uses a Linux/Unix based kernel. I hear you can get a simulator for games on a Linux box.

No comments: