It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-11-27

Big Brother is Watching

"We are deputizing the military to spy on law-abiding Americans in America. This is a huge leap without even a [congressional] hearing," Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.), a member of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, said in a recent interview.
Wyden has since persuaded lawmakers to change the legislation, attached to the fiscal 2006 intelligence authorization bill, to address some of his concerns, but he still believes hearings should be held. Among the changes was the elimination of a provision to let Defense Intelligence Agency officers hide the fact that they work for the government when they approach people who are possible sources of intelligence in the United States.

I'm getting board with this whole right to privacy thing. The powers that be have skirted around it so much that it really doesn't mean anything any more. We should decide as a nation whether or not we want it any more. It ends up getting in the way of law and not protecting any one but the criminals anyway. I give up.
Next, we should consider getting rid of the first amendment so people like me can't bitch about things like our rights anymore. What do you think?

1 comment:

obiwanchunn said...

People think that if the government is going to "spy" on them that there is some great big machine named "WOPR" that is recording everything they do.

That is simply not the case. The government is made up of people just like you and me who have no interest in the mundane details of your life.

That said, I don't want people poking their nose in my business. It's more the principle of the thing, not the actual thing itself.

I know, I kinda went round and round on this response -- but so did you. :)