It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-09-02

Tsunami (I mean) Katrina Videos
I'm not linking to anything. You can track all that down yourself.
I'm watching tons of videos.
* Aftermath
I wondered to myself on like Monday afternoon, "Who the hell stuck around?" Well, it was a couple of elderly white people and a bunch of black people. I hate to say it like that. That sounds racist. I suppose it might be. I got fucking eyes (sort of). Some blogs tout that it was poor people who could not afford to leave their stuff and jobs. I believe it. Someone else mentioned that Baton Rouge is 80% black so most of the people in the videos would be black. Fine. I buy it.
Roving gangs are running around and steeling everything that isn't nailed down. Some people are swiping bottles of bear and some diapers. Some people are swiping iPods. Which do you suppose I would say "guilty" to if I were on the jury?
They are violating the same law. Some people are sticking to their store and shooting people. More power to them.
* Storm Surge
There are videos of the storm surge. Some guys put themselves in the way of the Mississippi side of the storm. They were in a hotel lobby. A van washed up against the wall. A car washed into the lobby and down the hall.
* Helicopters
Someone flew around in a helicopter and filmed the Mississippi coast. There were people just standing in front of their cars, staring at a pile of broken two-by-fours that was their home. There was nothing left. It looked like a bulldozer had flattened the entire area.
Municipalities have been flying around looking at the tops of levies. The talking heads usually come on about then and make excuses.
I saw a video from one helicopter that was filming a military helicopter snatch someone off a rooftop. I'm thinking couldn't they do something constructive? Fly down and drop some bottled water.
* My Personal Note
I know one person working security at the Astro Dome. He says the people getting off the buses are the most "gimme gimme gimme" fucks on earth. He said they are the dregs of society. They have nowhere to go once they get a meal and a place to stay. Thank God the fire martial limited the damage to 15000 at the Dome.  That sounds absolutely horrible. It is the way I feel.
I'm sick of being the world's cop. We take on Afghanistan. We take on Iraq and Husein. We help out first with the most when the Tsunami hit the Far East. We have something happen here, in our own home town, and it takes five days to pay any attention. I am sick of people telling me I should not have my own gun. I look at the mayhem that happened in Louisiana and, God willing, I will have access to the means to protect my family.
* How to Help
Don't offer food. Don't offer cloths. Offer a job. Offer training. Offer an ax, a shovel, a hammer, some nails,  and a plot of land in a new territory.
I should just shut up. I know no one wants to hear my opinion. Where am I going to be when I'm the one on the other end. These things are easy to rant while in a dry building, sipping on a coffee, watching a bunch of videos.

1 comment:

melissa said...

i have to say i agree with you, especially in your how to help section. the problem is that a lot of these people don't want to work for anything. they only want handouts. it's sad what's happened, but maybe it'll be the kick in the pants that some of those people need. i also agree about the financial and other help to other areas of the world. there are oh so many problems we need to solve here at home. why are we the only ones who see that?