It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-07-09

Hero
Wouldn't it be nice to have done something cool? I've wondered if things might be different for folks after they have saved someone from a burning house or rescued a child from a well. It is funny how when I was a kid I dreamed of doing something so cool that every one would think I was a hero. As I've gotten older, I fear the celebrity. Now, instead of wanting people to think I'm a hero, I think about doing some great deed and fading into the background as some kind of unknown hero.
Now I'm an old man who has no need for heroism. I just want things to be quiet. I just want to live a peaceful life away from excessive tragedy and pain. I understand why people want to live on a patch of land in the middle of Montana and just be for their lives.
I am addicted to news. I am tied to my computer and the internet. I have become accustom to the constant influx of information. I feel lost without a daily dose of news and current events. I can live without TV or radio for a good length of time. I can even let myself laps into an information coma for a couple of days. At the end of those days though, I must get right back on the wagon.
I'm not a hero. I never will be a hero. I'm just a guy who has no idea what he is doing trying to make it through another day. I'm not sure there are any heroes. They are all just people trying to make it past their next bend in the road.

1 comment:

Celtic Gypsy said...

But you are a hero...like on the fourth of July when we were watching fireworks and Elle only wanted you. She kept reaching and crying for you. You were her hero, her protector. That is just one case. If you really want more I will write them.