It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-06-27

Relationship
I know I'm not blogging much. I have tons to write about, but it is all private relationship stuff. Sorry.

DnD
DnD was a lot of fun. We started a new campaign that will eventually turn evil. It is a group of Elves that become a ... oh, how shall I describe it ... become a group of terrorists.
The group I'm playing with has come up with a bunch of new rules about talking. They are so fucking gamest and number oriented they had to come up with a way to completely eliminate the narrative side of the game by assigning a bunch of roles and rules dealing with debating amongst the group and NPCs. They don't even realize this is a gamest idea and that narrative people are left in the dust. They think they are doing me (the big narrativest) a favor by ASSIGNING A BUNCH OF RULES to debating. Get this. Instead of talking, they now have dice roles to see who wins an argument. It is nuts. I am completely lost. Why bother with a story at all? Why not just sit there and roll dice endlessly to see who wins? It really pisses me off that I will never have a chance to just lose myself in the story. They ruin the twists and turns by making up rules to predict everything. Not everything is predictable, nor should it be. They can't just enjoy the game. They have to have fixed rules to the point of predictability. Then they complain when they feel railroaded. It isn't even based on charisma or leadership. it is based on your skill points and where you put them. They need to create a politician class and just have done with it. I can't win.
The funny thing is, I'm not really a narrativest. I'm just lazy. If I can get out of having to pay attention to the rules, I will. They want to solve the problem by having more rules. That doesn't work for narrativests or lazyests. I've been known to give up treasure because I don't want to write it down.

Weekend
DnD was Saturday (see above). Natalie wanted me to leave at midnight. I understand the game didn't last much longer after I left anyway. Nat and I ended up at Wal-Mart buying dog stuff. Damn 24 hour world. While I was at the DnD game Natalie bought a dog. It is this little retarded looking mutt. She is cute enough, but it has caused some strife between Nat and I. When Nat called me to ask if she could get the dog, she had clearly made up her mind. I was under the impression that we had decided to wait on a dog for a while. We have a cat and a fish. She has been asking for a little rodent or something. She has been hinting at a large fish tank. I'm like "Stop already!" but she felt the time to get the dog was right. We have discussed the issue and I think we understand each other's positions now.
Sunday we went over and picked up Elle. My father bought a digital camera with a nice video feature. I plan on putting some of the videos on the photo web site. The camera takes better videos than any other throw down digital camera I've noticed. The video's I'm interested in are of Elle of course.
I so want a video camera. I have no idea what to get. I want one that I just plug into the computer and play or edit the videos without much hassle. All it takes is money. We have a wedding to pay for.

Question/Quote of the Day
If you are an atheist, can you get out of the "Act of God" clauses in insurance policies? Can you sue for violation of you civil rights?
Often, entertainers will use poetic license to make a boring story seem more interesting in order to avoid working for a living.

Modern China ~ Nazi Germany

 "We may be seeing in China the first true fascist society on the model of Nazi Germany, where you have this incredible resource base in a commercial economy with strong nationalism, which the military was able to reach into and ramp up incredible production," a senior defense official said.

Man, China is scary. I've had a dream where China won WW III because they were willing to do what it takes to win. However, the postwar government fell apart and at the point of my dream, the world had collapsed into a high-technology tribal system.
Read both halves of that story. They talk about Americans inadvertently giving China technology. I remember a boat that could see through ocean water like it was not there. submarines could be spotted from horizon to horizon. Mitsubishi sold it to China for seventeen million dollars. It was priceless technology at the time. Then there was the European satellite launch via the Chinese that failed because someone had opened up a part that was not supposed to be opened.
Now, the Europeans want to open up weapon sales to China. Can you believe this? Israel "oops, sorry we sold drones to China." Every business I've heard of does tons of business with China now. Every time I hear someone say they are sending some information to China I cringe.
More

The L-2 [Chinese] submarine-launched missile to be deployed on the Type 094 and the DF-31 are the first strategic systems that will contain stolen U.S. warhead and missile secrets, the officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told The Times.
...
"These missiles will be able to hit any place in the United States, not just the Western states," said one official. "That's a significant new capability." The Type 094 will carry 12 or 16 JL-2 submarine-launched ballistic missiles that were described in one intelligence report as a smaller version of the DF-31.
...
China obtained design information on the W-88 warhead in the 1980s and a Chinese official disclosed the loss to the CIA in 1995. An investigation of the warhead compromise is focused on Wen Ho Lee, a computer scientist who was dismissed from his job at Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico and who is suspected of passing warhead secrets to China. He has denied the charge.

Thanks Guys.
More

Mr. President, China's theft of secret data on the so-called "W-88" nuclear warhead may be one of the most serious breaches of national security in our lifetimes. ... More serious than Aldrich Ames. Perhaps more serious than the Rosenbergs.

I'm not above a little Clinton bashing on the subject.

2 comments:

obiwanchunn said...

Okay, I have to respond to Kelly's DnD post. (far above this comment)

The Saturday game was one of the best games I have played in for about the last year and a half. (I'm the DM.) The fact that Kelly bitches so much belies the fact that the game was very fun.

Second, Kelly never does *any* role-playing in the game. Him being amazed that we are coming up with rules to model conversation is shocking because I never thought he paid attention to that part of the game anyway. If he did, he would know that the existing set of rules is there is bugged as hell and it keeps role-playing in DnD minimal. A good rule set would actually encourage people to try to talk to things instead of just kill them (which is what blog-master here does).

And I'm not alone here. has an entire write-up with what is wrong with the current rules and how to fix them. Unfortunatly this solution is even harder to follow than mine.

Kelly is just a big grouch when it comes to anything other than hitting things with an axe.

Celtic Gypsy said...

I did not want you to leave at midnight. You told me you guys would end about midnight (starting about a week before the game). Then once you were playing the game you said that all of the games last until 02:00 or so. I was very mad at you for telling me that the game would end at midnight when you knew that it would last until two or longer. We already had issues with you lying to me before. I just could not understand how you would stretch the truth again about a game. You left by your own accord. I told you to do nothing. I am not going to let everyone believe that I made you leave. You are an adult man I can make you do nothing. You are also twice my size...I really can't make you do anything, unless you want to. I will admit that I was mad at you for telling me something and knowing that it was not correct. That makes the second (actually third, because you yelled at me there [in another room] for all to hear) time you have made me look bad in front of your friends. I don't need help looking bad. Thank you. I am already scared to death that I am not up to standard for your friends. Please do not make things harder for me.