It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-05-25

Word of the day
Disentangle: untie a knot.
Politicians love this word when describing paperwork or red tape. I think it is over used. Why don't they just say things are messed up? I would make a terrible politician because I just don't deal well with bullshit.

Back
Elle was throwing a fit this morning. She was laying on the floor and kicking her feet. Nat was at her whit's end. I picked Elle up and took her outside for a second to let her cry. No sooner did I pick her up than I felt a twinge in my lower back. Now I have pain when I walk. Great. I'm used to picking her up from her standing position. I didn't keep my back straight. I've done this kind of thing before. I need to relax this evening and lay flat on the floor  with my feet up on the couch. to let my muscles loosen.
Lately it seems like Elle cries at everything. I can't figure out what is the real root of the problem. She needs some time with other kids. I think she is frustrated that she is not an adult. She should be a kid while she has the chance.

DnD
When are we going to do DnD again? No one seems interested in the weekend group any more. They have a weeknight group for the real die-hards. I can't keep up with those guys. I still want to play. Now that Ethan has a girl friend / fiance and thus full weekends, Adam is not motivated to gather the clan. I feel left hanging. I wonder if Ken and the other folks want to start up a game.

For Real

Maybe the problem is that, nowadays, divorce has become too easy, and oftentimes, it's easier to call it quits than it would be to try and fix what's wrong in the marriage. Unfortunately, members of the TV generation (that's us) are known for their penchant for "the easy way out."
Or, perhaps it has to do with the fact that we are the first generation that has had to contend with very vague roles within marriage. Who's supposed to cook and clean if both parties work equal amounts of time?
...
"So, what are the right reasons?" you ask. I guess everyone has their own way of determining with whom, why and when they walk down the aisle, if at all.
My personal favorites are common goals and love (I've been burned, but I still choose to believe in this delightful enigma). Just make sure that yours is real.

I remember the first time someone said "starter marriage" in my presents. It was Peter K. from my work. He left for greener pastures nearly a decade ago. What he said has stuck with me. He was spot on. My Ex and I didn't have anything in common. Nothing that mattered anyway. She and I differed on too many topics. She wanted to spend money without considering the consequences. She didn't want to pay, or understand the concept of paying her taxes. That really was the final straw. It came down to I didn't want to have children with her because I feared her responsibility.
It is the real thing with Natalie. I've known her for years. I've wondered about her for a long time. Does she feel the same way? You know how it goes. She was dating someone, or I was dating someone. Things never worked out. We both say we wish we could have found each other earlier. I just don't think we were ready those eleven years ago. Nothing has ever felt more right.

Brothers
Natalie's brothers came over last night for a visit. We piled in the cars and went to Dave and Buster's. Three seconds after we got to a pool table Elle started throwing a fit. I took her outside and we sat in the car while she cried and tossed around. It was very hot in the car. At that point I was more worried about getting arrested for a two year old throwing a fit. I really did intend to exit the car after she calmed down a bit. Natalie was understandably upset because Elle was over heated. I felt so bad I didn't want to go back in Dave and Buster's. I went for a walk and then fell asleep in the car. Nat tells me her brothers felt insulted because I didn't want to hang out with them. That wasn't it at all. Great way to start the family relationship.

1 comment:

obiwanchunn said...

Now just a second. The weekend group isn't dead just yet. I have a lot on my plate right now and if someone else wasn't DMing the weekday game, I wouldn't be playing in that game either. As soon as my grandmother gets moved down here & my parents are all satiated, then I can begin to *think* about the weekend game again.

If you start another group, let me know, I want to play. I just can't DM for another couple of weeks or so.