It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-05-18

Waking Up
What in the world wakes Elle up in the middle of the night? I really think it is her rolling over and noticing I'm not laying on the floor any more. I wonder sometimes if the night light hurts more than it helps. If she is mostly asleep and her eyes come part way open she can see that I'm not on the floor. However, if the night light is not on, the room may be to dark for her to notice anything and she will not get that "Oh my God! I'm alone!" feeling. When I go in the room after she has woken up, she really tries to get back to sleep. I'm telling you, mentioning the word "bed" is a strict no-no.
I may try it without he night light this evening. Last night, she woke up twice. Both time she fully intended to cry until someone came and got her. The trouble is there is no negative to her waking up. I need to think of a way to make her think twice before she calls us to her side. I want her to start thinking "I don't need them that bad." and roll over. I need some parenting advice.

Police Pursuit
A police officer in the UK decided to take one of the new pursuit vehicles out for a test drive a couple of months ago. He reached a top speed of 159 mph on a highway. Here is a link to the car type that he used. Understand, this link is the civilian version. The on board camera recorded the whole thing. Some other workers turned him in. The judge agreed that the police have to test on public streets. In the officer's defence, he is a driving training instructor. If any one needed to do the testing, it was him. The cop was driving at night on mostly clear roads. It sounds like he knew what he was doing.
In Italy, test drivers for car companies can get a license to drive like maniacs on the public road. There are movies I've downloaded on P2P that show Ducati drivers flying through traffic on rain soaked roads. It looked quite illegal, but apparently, it is find. They really do think differently across the pond.
Radio Scanner
I used to have a scanner that picked up mobile phones. I listened at night and the only people using the phone at that time are cops and prostitutes. One evening I heard a cop talking to his wife. He got a call to a fight. He starts driving fast. You can hear the engine and tires making noise. He makes some calls on the radio. His wife is clearly disturbed, but she does not want to hang up. They disconnected before he made it to the call. That conversation always stuck with me. So did the one where a guy was in a fight with his boyfriend and said "Some one is probably listening to this getting their jollies." I cracked up. Another call was a lesbian who had two different girlfriends on call waiting and flipped back and forth between them. I don't know how she kept them straight (so to speak). One of the girls was the steady girlfriend. The other was obviously the wild affair. You can still get scanners that will pick up mobile phones, but it is far more difficult and expensive with digital signals these days.

No comments: