It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-03-10

MP3 Volume Level
Every sound file on the computer has a different volume level built in. While I'm on my win to work I listen to my MP3 player. I've noticed most of the MP3s have different volume lives built in. There are ways to edit the files and manually make them consistent. That would take ages. Besides, what level do you make all of them? There in lies the problem. No one has an existing standard for listener volume level.
Movies are the worse. Everything you come across on the net is made by some individual. No one has an idea how to make things level. Every movie is ripped by some dork in his parent's basement. They all have an opinion on how every one else in the universe should create their concoctions called AVIs. Trying to get them to comply with a standard is like herding cats.
It isn't just MP3 and movie volume levels. I've noticed Online radio stations are all over the place. There is just no consensus.
So, there I am at work trying to concentrate on what I'm doing and if I'm listening to my MP3s, I have to adjust the volume ever two or three songs. Either you can't hear the music, something in the environment makes enough noise to distract you from your music, or a song comes on that blows you out of the chair. At least most online radio stations have systems to compensate while you are listening to that specific station.
Oh, well, it is still better than trying to listen to your coworkers, friends or family. =]

No comments: