It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-02-03

Dream
I had a funny dream last night. I was Israel in the late sixties. I was queuing up for a flight somewhere. I bought a ticket and walked out to the plane. It was just an open tarmac. The passengers just walked out to the plane and walked up one of those truck bound staircases. I remember looking around and thinking to myself "This is a lot different than it is in the future. No real baggage check. No real passenger check. It will be a few years until the 1970 Olympics and all the hijackings. It will be more than ten years until the Iran hostage affair." Then I thought in an even funnier voice inside my head that those statements are out of place in this dream.
Dreams only exist to keep the portion of our brains that make reasons for things that happen busy. That's why everything in a dream makes sense while you are in the dream. That is the part of your brain that needs a workout so much, that it exorcises every night. This means of reason must be important to survival. It seems like a waist of energy to have dreams when you sleep. You body continues to work, repair, digest, and dream when you are asleep. Dreaming must be as important as all the rest. Do lizards dream? Do insects dream? Do plants dream?

There are some dreams that I and many people I know have had.
  • All my teeth fall out.
  • Naked in public.
  • Fighting
  • Running in slow motion from a danger.
  • Drowning.
  • Swimming through the air (flying).
  • Running so fast your feet barely touch the ground every 20 meters.
  • Taking a test that I did not study for.
Any more examples out there?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I've had all of these dreams except drowning. In college I read Freud's book on interpreting dreams because I was having so many about losing my teeth - I wondered what the significance was. He says this is a dream about being emmasculated. What did he know - I'm a girl, and I know other women that have had the same dream. But I rationalized his interpretation to mean I was concerned about losing my "fundamental power" - in my case, revealing I was an intellectual loser.

I once had a very detailed dream (I still remember it vividly) about killing my father and cutting him up in little pieces (gently) and placing them carefully (like precious china) inside the door panel of a red pickup. What's up with that??

My dreams about running with great soaring leaps are closely related to my dreams about flying. I purposely tried, inside these running dreams, to extend the ammount of soaring until I was actually flying, but the feeling of falling would wake me up. The closest I ever got to flying in a dream was swan-diving off an extremely high balcony in a long narrow building where the ceiling was midnight blue painted with gold stars, and I sailed forever toward the far wall, the air whipping my hair and arms like when you drive with the window down. It was exhilerating, but at the same time sad because I realized I would never really be able to imagine the complete un-bounded liberation of free flight.

So...who else dreams? I know cats and dogs dream. Do whales (they sing)? Pigs (supposedly the smartest animal after humans)? All mammals? Reptiles? I like your pondering whether plants dream...or have nightmares. I can just imagine a plant dream. Basking in sun, gentle rain, the exciting smell of pollen in the air, the whine of an approaching weedwacker.

I haven't had the focus or time to do "directed dreaming" since those years of trying to fly, but I remember how energizing it was. Maybe that will be a personal goal this year. Ha. That's not a goal, it's just a dream :-)

CyndyMW said...

Wow, your dreams are so politically relevant and interesting. Mine are so simple an common. A snake. An office. A friend. Something like that.

Anonymous said...

I dream a lot about snakes, and also going up a stairway that is open on my left side and a wall of dead people trying to reach out to me on my right but I can't go to the edge or I will fall. Not a nice dream. Another dream is finding lots and lots of money!