It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-12-12

Mobile (Cell) Phones
Brian: a loner antisocial (in a "something was happening" sort of way)  misfit. Smart guy. Has cats. (Engineer)
Adam: Married, Smart guy. Plays allot of DND. (Engineer)
Laurie: Married (to Adam), Smart woman. (Engineer)
Ethan: Single, but girlfriend has a Mobile. (Engineer)
Alexis: Teenager, Single, taking classes at UT.
Adam, Ethan, Alexis and even Laurie (by marriage) are all in the same family. I can't think of another person who I communicate with at all who does not have a mobile phone.

While older Americans like Harger-Gedeon are catching on to the fact that not having a cellphone could actually be considered socially obtuse ("A call ahead while stuck in traffic is no longer a courtesy but a given," she says), teenagers say leaving the house with the cellphone is as basic as having a wallet or purse and house keys.
"Everybody I know uses it for just everything, everything," says Melinda Burroughs, a 17-year-old in Thousand Oaks, Calif. Besides keeping her a ring away from her parents, Melinda says her phone serves as alarm clock and watch. It lists movies, text messages from friends, and latest sports scores. When cellphone use reaches a critical mass among teens, say experts, everyone suddenly has to get one.
... the need to always be connected to others may naturally settle with time. "Those who used to complain that they couldn't get away from their boss at work or find any peace, are doing much better in taking control by turning off their cellphones whenever they want," says Dr. Blinkoff.

"Mobile" vs "Cell"  I listen to the BBC allot and they say "Mobile" over there. I find myself using that term over "Cell". I've had people look at me funny once or twice. They all knew what I was talking about. I find myself just saying "phone" more and more these days.
My parents have mobile phones. Every one at my office has a mobile phone. That group of friends above are the only ones who have not moved into this century. I went out to lunch with them yesterday and forgot my phone. While standing in the Starbucks line, I noticed and felt naked and cut off for a moment. Then I thought, "No one is going to call anyway." and felt much better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prefer kelly's site over CNN for catching up on World News. Kelly's commentaries more accurately reflect the way I perceive the news as coming from the average American Joe, such as myself.

-coho

obiwanchunn said...

When I am in my coffin, about to be dropped 6 feet under, Kelly is gonna sneak a cell phone in with me. And he will call until the battery dies.

Then, he will have his revenge.