It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-10-14

Kelly News
Long before I had a blot, I sent out emails with news clips in them to my friends. I did not have a mailing list. I just added names as I crossed them. If I thought someone would be interested in the particular story, they ended up on that mail. I stopped long ago, before the blog. I wonder if any one misses the mails.

Phones and Cancer
Here we go again. Ten years of mobile phone use gives you cancer, or maybe not. They just don't know what long term exposure to the radiation of a mobile phone does to the human body. We phone users are all test subjects in an experiment exposing our brains to high frequency electromagnetic radiation. I try to use my phone for short periods of time anyway. The times I'm on a long call, I use an ear peace. The phone is half a meter from my head. This is just happenstance. I don't go out of my way to limit my exposure.

XP Service Pack 2
I just got an email at my day job talking about XP SP2 implementation. They are sending out this email asking for information on what is going to go wrong during implementation. How the hell am I supposed to know what is going to break in IS? The only thing I'm aware of in SP2 that causes problems in most software is the built in firewall. My company uses a third party firewall, so I don't think that will be a factor. They send out this email and zero information on how to tell what is going to go wrong.
IS does this kind of thing quite a bit. This email is a CYA communication. They want to be able to say "Nobody told us it was going to blow up."

Goofy Kelly
There are one million hours in 114.155251 (114 years and 56.66 days (1360 hours)) years. That is a conceivable age for some one to reach.

Asexual
I have to stop calling myself an asexual. That article defines asexuality as some one with no interest in sex. I do have interest. I just don't get it. Yet another category I don't fit. The article said thirteen percent of people polled had not had sex in the last year. I fit that one.

Old Server
I do software packaging. That means I set up software so it installs off the network without user intervention. The box is actually just an old NT workstation.  Nine of these programs use a license server. The old server sits in my office. There are people all over North America and some in the far corners of the planet who use this server to check out licenses for their software. Well, we finally moved all the license software over to a real "server" in Michigan or Freeport. For the last couple of months I've been disabling licenses on this server and moving people over to the others. Today, for the first time in years, I turned the server off. I will let the situation stew for a week or two and then tell IS to come pick it up.

Sports & DnD
You know, I've never been involved in sports. I don't even watch. I just can't get excited. I like soccer games because there is a constant tension through the whole game. Americans seem to like high scoring games like basket ball or Football. I cannot imagine Americans putting up with any sport that allows a draw.
So, why am I writing about sports? Well, this Fall, I feel the direct and unmistakable affect of organized sports. It looks like we won't be able to play our normal Saturday DnD game again until spring. Thee are college games every Saturday until December. Most of the people I game with are not that far out of college. They travel to the games at the drop of a hat. I cannot blame them. If I had any liking of travel, I would make some of the geeky conventions.
We are just going to have to drop some people. Ken has a girlfriend. Chris has football. Sarah has her real estate stuff she does on some Saturdays and is working on a new career. Alexis will have school soon. Ethan has a life these days. Adam and Laurie have the "kids" things. Shoey, well, he has stock in hand lotion companies to keep track of.  Brian key takes pictures of scantly clad women and space ships for a living for God's sake. It's no wonder we have a hard time coordinating our efforts.

1 comment:

obiwanchunn said...

Kelly, only you would fuss about not being asexual.