It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-10-08

Email on the Web
If you have your email address published on a web page you need to scramble the code to slow down the advance of dreaded Spam Spiders. There are dozens of ways to do this, but I catch people all the time just throwing their email address all over the Internet and then complaining about the legion of spam they receive.
I had to use the following search words [Scramble email "web page" spam script -program -software example] on Google to find that link. It is amazing how obscure this stuff is. Yet it is a requirement for even beginners in the web world. The real solution for this is to use a dedicated email address that you don't mind abandoning after a wile.

Vice
I've never smoked. I've smoked a cigar every two years or so. I've never been to a strip club. I tried to date a dancer once though. It didn't really work out. I've never been to a hooker. I've lost maybe about $200 gambling. I probably drink once a month or less. I haven't gotten sloshed in several years. I don't like taking prescription medicine unless it is really needed. What do I do? I mean, every one else seems to have their thing. I fix computers. That is almost productive. I play video games. I surf the web. I watch SciFi TV shows and movies.

Voice Mail
We have all heard the comedians talk about deliberately calling some one when they are not around so we can leave a voice mail instead of talking straight to them. I like the idea. Why can't I make a voice mail message on my phone and then pick the number, then click send? I think that is why email is so popular. Some one came in to my office this morning and mentioned that she is keeping in touch with several people via Yahoo IM that she would have otherwise lost contact with using conventional means. The nice thing about instant messaging is you can leave a note for some one and they will pick it up when they are in the mood to pick it up (most of the time). If you are just not in the mood to talk, you don't check your email. Of course, now email is work related. I try desperately to keep home and work communications separate. That doesn't always work out.

Misspelled Words
I have gotten more hits off of a jpeg file I named "bald.jpg" than anything else. I've misspelled Kerry as "Karry" and gotten hits. I spelled Martigra as "Martigraw" and bada-bing, hits. Proper spelling may not always pay off. I'm going to start naming all my jpg files after body parts.

Things I Learned on My Friday
www.TopFive.com is not blocked at my day job.
A tribute to Rodney Dangerfield is not funny.
Convicted felons may get four conjugal visits a year. I get zero. hmmm, where is my list?

No comments: