It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-08-16

Wheel of Time (continued)
I completed book six this past weekend. I have become addicted to the series. A friend tells me the current story line (involving a bowl) takes entirely too long. He also mentioned the Amazon comments seem to tern against the author and the series around book seven. I read the first couple of chapters of book seven. So far, so good.
I have to say, this story is unique in my experience. I've never followed a story of such detail over so much story time. I can't think of another story that has spread out like this one. The author does a great job of keeping focus even though the story seems to go all over the place. The weave really does have many intertwining threads. I hope I can stick with it to the bitter end. I hope the author doesn't die any time soon..

My Readers
I've gotten some feedback on my blog. Adam skips the news and loves the geek stuff. Cynthia skips the geek stuff and loves the news. It seems every one likes, or endures, the personal experiences. The anecdotes are a hit. It's just too bad that  I don't get out more.

Gmail
Gmail is starting to piss me off. I know it is a beta, but damn-it, I would like it to work. I'm in the middle of typing an email. When I'm ready to click send, it just sits there. I don't know if it sends or if it does nothing. Even if I go look in sent items I cannot tel for sure if the email went out. So, I have to send it again. Then people complain they got it twice. This kind of thing only seems to happen at high load times. That scares me. What is going to happen when they go live? Generally it clears up quickly. That doesn't help me really. It needs to work all the time to be frank.
Failed sends.
They still do not support HTML tags.
It is hard to select more than one address from the contacts list. (you have to type them in)
No fixed width font.
No way to list conversations that have no category.
No way to get emails out of Gmail in mass. (in case I need to change my address someday)

Post Office
A friend of mine had a little story about the Post Office. I remember a time when I was a kid where people said the Post Office was a job for life. I don't think it is quite that any more. I have to tell you, there are some losers working for the Post Office.
My friend found she had no mail for three days.  A sign showed up on the community box saying "Go get your mail at the Post Office."  She made a trip to the Post Office. She waited in line for a half hour to get her mail. The person who was helping here disappeared behind the scenes and came back to say "You have to call your carrier." Great. The next day she calls her carrier the next day only to sit on the phone for ever. She hears from the carrier "Your mail is at the Post Office." She goes back to the post office. A half hour in line gets her the information "Your mailbox has been fixed. Go away." OK. They didn't say go away, but that is how my friend felt. If she had just waited another day, she would have had all the mail in her mailbox.
Is it me, or does this sound like incompetence? Do they do this on purpose? Do they know how stupid they look? Are these people behind the door smoking a multi-pipe-gas-fired-crack-hookah?

Evening
Before I get to the evening, let me go over my day. I worked. Then I came home. That sounds like a Monday. I wrote some code, I asked some questions of support people at another company. I told a person his project was ready for testing. I can't wait to get his comments back. It amazes me how you can hand someone exactly what they asked for and they have changes. Tomorrow is another day. The same. Hopefully with less trouble and more answers.
Now., my evening. in an hour or so a buddy of mine will call me and we will go over colors for a support page for my evening job. It is one of those pages you have probably used to get an answer over some computer question. We are going to attempt to get the colors on the page to match some other products we have. Our over all page will change as well. We will go to a tabbed design. I'm sure they will change other look and feel stuff. I want allot more content out there.
I cannot be trusted to design anything for looks. Everything would be white text in Ariel on a black background. I took some classes in desktop publishing many moons ago. The most important thing I learned is that I have no taste. I cannot tell blue from green or red from brown. Cynthia can testify that  I cannot tell beige  from pink. If it were not for the description, I would not know one from the other.

1 comment:

CyndyMW said...

And this is why Josh should hire me. I now pink from beige. I can tell you what looks good and what doesn't. White on black certainly doesn't. Consider this my job application.