It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-06-29

Email
User Friendly has a good cartoon that explains why competition among "free" email systems is not really helping the end user. The cartoon has an interesting opinion of spam filters too. (blech!)
I change email addresses of the. Too often for some people. I it cleansing to not give the new email to some. The only email address I cannot change is the primary email on my ISP. It gets nothing but junk email. I have never given it out to any one. My ISP must have sold it at some point. Trouble is, I have to clean it out or it will fill up all the space on my mail account. The secondary emails will stop working at that point. I have Outlook set to just blow everything away from that account. It is like ten or twenty emails a day. I used to have an old Hotmail account that got dozens of junk mail a day. I just abandon it one day. Now,  I have a personal email account that I use for humans and a different one for business. The funny thing is, the personal one fills up with spam faster. It is from cards, greetings and the like. "Free movie tickets." BAH!!

Work
Something interesting happened at work. They laid off the guy who does the paperwork part of the packaging task I perform. This means I get to do his job on top of mine. This means twice the responsibility while still feeling the affects of a 6% pay cut. Have I mentioned the 6% pay cut before? Now, not only do I have three times as many applications as any one else, but I have to follow up on all the questions and paperwork as well. No one else working for this company is responsible for as many applications as I am except the group that runs the IS portion of the process. They have dozens of people working for them. I am, now, alone. (well, Scott helps out.)

Resume
Well crud. I actually have to produce a resume. I had hopped to fake it and make myself feel better. Unfortunately, I have some people asking me for a resume. It isn't really unfortunate, I'm just trying not to get my hopes up. Say a prayer for me.

Career
I consider myself one of the most successful people I know. I had a very hard time in school. From kindergarten through college, I was the one who was lost more often than not. I could not read the board. I could not read those damn ditto copies they used to use. I am to this day one of the slowest readers in the world. I don't think I would do much better now. I could definitely use the Internet for research. I could definitely use the computer to read to me. Between the nightmares about having to go back to school and the lack of drive, I would probably use my unfair knowledge to sail through school. The best education I have had has been working in the real world. They should make people work for a couple of years between middle school and high school. When i was a kid people were worried I would be a burden on society. My parents tell me they never thought of college as a viable option. That is probably why I ended up paying most of my own way. The fact that I am not living off Uncle Sucker, or living at home (God forbid) tells me I'm doing alright.
<How much of this have I written before?>
People seem to think the legally blind thing will help me in school or business. I don't get it. I did use SSI during college. I did get some extra time on the SAT. The teachers did help me out when I asked. I don't think any doors have been opened specifically because of my condition. I have used it as an excuse all my life. I've seen totally blind golfers. I've seen people ski blind. I've even seen a person sky-dive blind. My ex-boyscout leader was a blind lawyer. He said to us "I've never driven a car, but I have bought my wife several new cars.".

1 comment:

CyndyMW said...

I've written my resume plenty of times, as well as for many of my friends. I've actually re-written it a couple of times for the company we currently work for. I would be happy to help with yours.

I know you have talked to Jon about his friends who do packaging; you can and should be doing so much better.

Some good degrees that I thought you'd do well in:

- Computer Science (c'mon, do you have any idea how easy this has been for me with job experience?)
- Political Science (my minor)
- Economics (seems like fun!)
- Sociology

among many others.