It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-06-13

Clouds and carbon based life forms
A buddy of mine was board on her way back from a family reunion in Louisiana. She decided to call me and get a science lesson. She asked what it meant that humans are carbon based life forms (clearly having herd this from a SciFi show). I explained that all life (possibly with the exception of virus) is made at an atomic level with carbon as a basis of it's chemical reactions. Chemical reactions are what keep us alive. Any imbalance can kill life. That is why cyanide kills with so little a dose, because it stops carbon and carbon based molecules from doing their job. She took this in stride. I left out the fact that at different temperatures carbon will not work. The next element that might support life is silicon. At higher temperatures the loose electrons on silicon will have nearly identical properties as carbon at our living temperature.
Somewhere in there was a discussion of clouds. She asked exactly what clouds are made from. I said water, dust, ice crystals and air. I almost wish I knew where the question came from. The car she was driving had her husband, child and mother in law.

Chemicals
I'm watching a Night Line or 20/20 talking about chemical plant security. I work at a chemical company. I know I cannot enter the office building without going through two card controlled gates and passing at least one guard. Green Peace jumped the back fence and blocked the entrances with a Ryder Truck last year. They had control of the place for an entire day. They showed up in gas masks and were nearly shot by the guard on duty. It was not that far after 9/11. No jury would have convicted him.

Resume
I have a first draft. It is ugly, but has most of the notes i want on it. There is a section at the top telling "my future employer" why I'm thinking of leaving the company I'm currently with, and what I can do for them.  I want to expand that small paragraph, but the words don't come. I've sent the resume off to some friends for scrutiny. It is still a rough draft. I'll keep you informed.

No comments: