It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-05-25

Server <geek speak>
So, I'm trying to set my server machine up so people can store pictures there. I have to figure out how Apache rights work. The glitch I'm hitting is allowing people to log in via FTP and dropping off pictures with the appropriate group settings and rights so Apache can read everything. I don't want to start a business or anything. I just want to learn how to do it.
I did figure out how to get Samba to default to a specific group on a file share. The trouble is, my user name is listed as the owner of every file. Apache either needs to own the file, or have he apache group associated with the file. I haven't had a chance to test my adjustment yet. I may gripe about it again later.

Work
I was looking for some code to swipe from an old project to use in a new project this morning, when I discovered all the files from the old project were gone. Wait a minute, that project has not been distributed yet. I emailed the people responsible for distributing the files and ask them WTF? "Oh, that is how we do things now. We are cleaning up after ourselves." He gives me a link to the files on their distribution system. Hey, that's great. I'm poking around. Poking around. ... Where are a bunch of the folders? Oh, they are in the wrong place. That will not due. Just about now, I start getting the phone calls "Hey Kelly, that package that came in this morning doesn't work, WTF?"  I stop answering the phone and settle in trying to fix the problem. I end up getting the files pulled from tape. They were back in place in a couple of hours. That has got to be a record for our IS people. Hopefully, the project is winging it's way to the Philippines for distribution. That is where the IS people work for beads.
Actually, they are very good at what they do. Of course, what they do is bill the company for everything they can get away with. I may be mistaken, but it sounds like the company still pays them even if they don't fulfill what they said they were going to do. One side effect of this is they will never tell you no.

Blimps, In Space?
Apparently some one figured out how to simply rise to orbit with a blimp and a light bulb. Remember those laws of physics I was talking about in a previous post? This is the way to do things. Not this specific method, I mean using the things around you to your advantage. Now, if we could figure out how to float on top of gravity.

1 comment:

CyndyMW said...

Thanks for warning us with the title about Geek Speak, but I actually wanted to read that one!

I have a feeling I'm one of the folks behind your mission to get that server to allow other users to publish through FTP, and if so, thank you!

I wonder if my new site (http://www.clearworks.net/cynthia) will allow me more than the requisite 10 MB. I'm the ONLY customer in the history of the company who has ever called and said "So, you offer 10 Meg? Sign me up!" They didn't know how to do that, had to call a higher level support. I wonder if they'd notice before I got up to, say, 50 MB.

I'll see you after my dentist appointment, probably with some rediculously high payment estimate.