It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-04-20

Office Politics
I am definitely a technician. I'm finding more and more that I am very bad at politics in the office. I tend to tell the truth and air my thoughts far too often to be a political success. It will keep me in a technical position for the rest of my life.

Grasping at Straws
I found a cool
site that shows the origin of many phrases. I heard the phrase "grasping at straws" on the BBC and I just had to Google it. I've been looking for a decent site that compiles the origins of phrases. This place is pretty lame. It is also seriously bent toward British ends. Ah, well, tis more the thrill of the hunt.

Lean
I'm looking at the company I work for and I've come to the conclusion that they should get rid of my department. That is, they should outsource. The whole department is overhead. We do not take in outside work. It makes sense now why outsourcing saves so much money. If my department took in outside work, we would be forced to make ourselves better than we are. We have many shortcomings that would be culled at the first chance if we lost a client who was paying. I.T. departments almost exclusively work only with inside a single entity. There is no competition. There is no incentive to improve the product (for real) because you have a captive customer. This epiphany has made me reconsider the approach to outsourcing. The company I work for makes a specific group of products. I think now that this company should stick to that and outsource engineering, support, construction, I.T., and some other overhead objects. This company should keep control of research and development, ownership, legal, rights management, and other managerial objects. What do you think?

2 eDonkeys
I am moving Overnet (aka eDonkey) to another computer. It was on an XP box, but I'm moving it to My Linux server because I need the XP box for testing. The funny thing is, the Linux box is 1/3 the CPU 1/2 the RAM and much older than the XP box. However, Overnet runs faster on the Linux box. Right now they are both fighting over the DSL bandwidth. I'm letting the XP machine complete its downloads before I completely take it offline. They are both running at full speed. I suppose the extra $10 I pay per month for the higher speed DSL is paying off.

No comments: