It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-03-16

Potential Constitutional Amendments I like
Entertainment Content
People get the content free until the industry can agree on a method and provide that method to get said content to consumers.
No Lawyers need apply
Lawyers and those who have attended law school may not participate in public office except to cast their vote as a citizen. (they know too much.)
Overall tax limit
No citizen has to pay more than 50 percent of their annual gross income in taxes, regardless of governmental entity requiring the taxes, or when the taxes are due. The citizen chooses who does and does not get the taxes they pay should there be an over charge.

ReadPlease
I've started using a new software called
ReadPlease. I've used it once before, but it sucked then. I think they have a nice product now. There are still a few foibles.
Old vs. new
The old version used an engine from Microsoft that insisted on displaying this stupid character at the top of the screen that read to you. I remember thinking this was childish and an unnecessary resource hog.  The new version doesn't force you to use the little character. Everything else seems to be the same. I did notice the company is owned, or partnered with AT&T in some way.
My impression
I need software like this. It has been a while since I used any reading software. The difference in my surfing habits occurs instantly. I catch myself actually reading long emails. The last several days I have read more news stories all the way through than in the last six months. I've read short stories online. I'm reading instructions for stuff. I may even, if I can stand myself after, read the DND books. Don't hold your breath.
Problems
Sometimes it reads things twice for no apparent reason. The copy feature (copy into the clipboard and the software automatically reads the text out-loud) gives an error that says “cannot read from clipboard”, but the silly thing seems to work just fine. The delay between sentences (when the software hits a period) is different from the auto-read feature and the play button. I don't get that last one at all. You would think the software would just read based on the same settings regardless of how it is initiated. Every single one of these problems existed in the previous version.

DND
Not playing DND is killing me. I miss my friends. They plaid weekend before last. I sat here and couldn't get anything done all day. I miss it terribly. It is just so much work. If I can find the online text copies of the books it might help greatly. I can have the above software read it to me. I may have to rethink my abandonment. Adam, our DM, said he will let me come back.

PC-Mall
I had to re-order my camera and the USB notebook drive reader from PC-Mall. The FedEx deliveries insisted on a signature. I got a call from PC-Mall today asking me to join a frequent customer group. I should have asked how much I've spent there in the past few years. I've bought all kinds of crap from them. Let's see, three wireless hubs, a couple of cables, several mice and keyboards, a laptop and a computer, more than one digital camera, about six hundred blank CDs or DVDs, and I think I bought my Sony Clie there. I would want to keep me as a customer as well.

Lunch
Tomorrow afternoon I'm going out with a friend of mine to the Alimo Drafthouse. This friend and I went out on a real date about ten years ago. We have never kissed.

Song
This song rocks. I have heard it a couple of times and it always makes me smile.
http://www.radioparadise.com/modules.php?name=songinfo&song_id=33407
Artist:Kirsty MacColl
Song:In These Shoes?
Album:
Tropical Brainstorm

No comments: