It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-01-18

Working on the weekend
I find it nearly impossible to work on the weekend. Between my noisy neighbors and just plain laziness, I get little done.
Having a life is tough today. I'll bet it was easier in the fifties or so. Between wars people knew their place and had the ability to fight it too. There were struggles and people died to make their freedom work. That has always been the way. Nothing happens in America without a pile of bodies to raise eyebrows. Banks won't put in bulletproof windows at the teller windows because it looks bad to the customers. They lobby against it. If every bank had the bulletproof glass then they wouldn't look out of place.
Lately my day job has been kicking my butt. Nothing works. There is no real problem. All the software that I'm trying to make work is going through changes. Some of it is so old, it just works funny on the new machines. I have to go round and round with the vendor's tech support for answers. I should remember the fifty packages that worked over the last year. Every single one has something special about it. I can't think of a single one that just worked.
The work I'm doing on the weekend is for Tpro. I need to get a support software up and running. I need to learn it for myself, not Tpro or the customers. I must focus through the noisy neighbors. I must propel myself for myself. I must drink another Mt. Dew.
I'm on step two. This time I made a backup of the conf file first. That is one lesson learned. One thing Gforge does is make you change your document root to Gforge's folder. That is annoying because I need this server to support my web page too. I made a symlink to the real http folder and changed the links in my index.html to match. The rest of the links should be relative. That is one of the things that has been weighing on me. Hopefully this is now fixed. That counts as one more step. Now if my neighbor would just shut up. I'm going to ask to move apartments before I sign a new lease.
Mandrake has a different httpd.conf setup than Red Hat did. There are three different files that need to be modified instead of the one. There is a warning in on of the files to “Don't use this setting use one of the other files”. Give me a break. This looks amateur.
It only took me two hours to find the trouble and get my page back up.