It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2003-12-29

Geek Speak
So, I'm trying to get Bugzilla to work on my web server. I follow the instructions. They are 10,000 foot level instructions. This is an open source project and the only way the people working on the project get paid is to hire themselves out as consultants. The instructions online are lacking to generate a need for more consulting. I follow the instructions as best as I know how.
The scripts included in the install that are supposed to fix the access rights mess up some of the execute attributes on the Perl scripts. The page “index.cgi” was working just find. Then, it just quit. What happens the script called checksetup.pl “fixes” the rights on files. It didn't fix the rights on these files. The three-hundredth time I ran the script it must have messed them up. The symptom is the CGI script is listed in the browser instead of running on the server.

I had to learn a couple of things.

  • How to set rights on files more accurately.

  • How to change the colors in PUTTY.

  • How to set the access rights under Apache web server more appropriately.

  • Better security measures for Apache.

  • How to get CGI to run under folders other than the default under Apache.

  • How to install Perl modules (not how to fix them when they don't work).

  • How to write and run a hello world in PHP and Perl.

Humor
People laughed at me when I said I wanted to be a comic. Well, they aren't laughing now.
When I go I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my father. Not like the other people who were screaming in the car he was driving.

No comments: