It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2003-08-08

Lesson of proportion
I have a aunt who's two year old got a little toy barn one Christmas. The poor tike cried because she couldn't go in her barn. She sat there with her feet in the open doors and cried staring at the barn. I felt terrible. I witnessed the suffering of reality upon the learning brain of a child. It was fascinating.

Nuremburg 2050
Big corporations do funny things. Enron got in all kinds of trouble because they applied their records retention too late. They destroyed documents after an investigation began. Had Enron just followed their own records retention policies on a daily basis there would have been far less evidence for the DOJ to sift through. When in Excel or Word at my day job, when you hit save a screen pops up for records retention. Some one asked me if that screen can be killed. "Yes, but then I would have to purge your memory." I answer.
I thought about the method I would use to disable the automatic pop up that asks about records retention if I needed to do so. The list of places I would look for the hooks that pull up that screen popped into my head. I thought about who put in those commands. Nowhere in the system keeps that information. A vision of a court room full of people in wigs on one side and robots on the other side pops into my head.
A wigged one asks "Why did you incinerate that orphanage?"
The robot answers in a very calm calculated voice "I was following orders."
The judge asks "Who gave you those orders?"
The robot with little emotion says "That information was never entered."

Work and friends
It is Friday afternoon at my day job. I'm sitting here wanting so much to leave. The walls are closing in. I have some friends who want to go eat this evening. I can't wait. Something so simple as a night jawing with friends sounds like paradise. I'm quite blessed in the friend department. (you know who you are). I've only really hurt one friend in the past few years. I wish I could fix my relationship with Dawn. She was and still is a good friend. If anything happened to one of us the other would still come to aid. I miss her terribly. It is the normal man vs woman stuff that drive a wedge between us. We hardly ever email any more. There was a time I wanted to marry her. I have no idea what she ever thought of me.
I'm turning up the music and trying to look busy. I've had some problems making things work here this week. A bunch of users have had problems getting things to work that worked fine a couple of weeks ago. The new workstations we are getting are all laptops. Something like 40,000 will be purchased over the next year or so. I"m responsible for setting up software to install from the network so users don't have to make decisions during install, or find the CDs. It is almost as boring as my other job. I support a VMS database software for the tracking of material and specifications for chemical plants. Just typing it makes my eyes role back in my head.



No comments: