It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2003-05-28

One Europe
I'm listening to the BBC. The big topic lately is the joined Europe. The one thing I get is there is allot of miscommunication on what the treaties and constitutions that are bouncing around. There are people asking some pretty forward questions and getting some dodgy answers. People in the UK are properly upset about loosing their individuality. I understand their concerns. The UK is on the high side of the balance and they are afraid they will be drug down while every one else is pulled up. It sounds like the rhetoric that went around during the creation of the US. Virginia and New York I believe (maybe it was Massachusetts) had good things going and didn't want to be scuttled by the rest of the colonies. One common tout from the Brits is "I don't want Europe telling us what to do." I can't wait to find out how things go over "over there."

Never Mind
So, I'm working on an old server. I want to get Samba and VIC working on it like my other server. The fact is, I don't really know how I got the other machine to work, so I want to repeat my effort on another machine. It is an old HP PII 333 with one bad IDE channel (that's how I got the machine for nothing) and a fourteen inch monitor. Normally, the monitor wouldn't factor into the effort except this time, of course, is different. I install Red Hat 9.0. The damn thing won't recognize my NIC (Network Interface Card) so I shut down and put in a different one. Still nothing. I concede and just install Mandrake 9.0. This fixes the NIC problem, but now Mandrake Control Center won't fit on the screen. That's right, the screen is 800x600 and I can't get to the "save" button at the button of the screen. Oh, and get this. The space bar doesn't work in the terminal. It works fine in the X editor, but not the terminal. I can't get a break. That is where I left it at 4:55 am this morning before I went to work. Worry not, I did sleep.

Frame Rate
Einstein said that the faster you go the slower time passes for you. I wander if that is entirely accurate. I think of it as an old movie where the frames pass at a rate of twelve frames per second instead of the twenty four frames per second today. The same action went by in basically the same real time. The perception is the same really. As you approach the speed of light, do the frames compress, or are there simply less frames going by? Are there a fixed number of frames we pass through? Or, is there a universal constant "time" and we perceive the frames differently based on how close we are to a large mass like the sun,or Earth? Or, perhaps it is how fast we are traveling through space as compared to some still spot at the center of the galaxy.
If a set of twins decide to experiment. One twin elects to stay on Earth while the other travels in deep space away from gravity and at a high rate of speed. According to Einstein, the twin on Earth would be old and gray when the wandering twin comes back home, still young.
Lets say Einstein is completely right here. It other words the slower you go, the more time you spend doing it (the slower you go, the faster you age). The faster you go, the less time you experience passing by (the faster you go the slower you age). Wait a minute. (E=MC*2) Where is time? C represents the speed of light. Speed is (speed = distance / time). Ah-ha. There it is. Time in this equation is always equal to 1 (the time as measured on Earth) as far as I can tell. What if time approaches the infinitesimal as you approach the speed of light? What if time approaches the infinite as you slow down? (Woh, I spelled infinitesimal right on the first try. Creepy.) Speed as compared to what? I don't know. I'm just throwing this out there for the moment.
There are a hundred different ways I want to go with this discussion. It's times like these I wish I had studied harder in math class.
Einstein's Theory of Relativity solved for time looks like[ ((E/M)^0.5)/D = T ]. Where D = the distance covered by light in T measurement of time as measured on Earth. Earth Time Unit (ETU) How do I patent this?

No comments: