It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2003-04-10

Safety and papetwork
Managers love paperwork. Safety is an interesting case for streamlining red tape. Sagety is one of those few "real" things that companies must seal with. That's why so many companies fail at it. You cant though money, people, time, or any amount of-paperwork to make it go away. It takes the will of everyone involved. One weak link and ker-snap, an accident. My company is big on the numbers. They tie boneses to the numbers. They have mounds of paperwork to follow and maintain. The paprwork serves as a dayly reminder to pay attention to safety. The trouble is as people become complacent to the paperwork, it takes more paperwotk to achieve the same effect. Get the trend?

Time, so important
People love to be in a hurry. What just makes my day is when people want it done right now and don't pick it up for three days. I'm in a better situation now. I have a job where not just anyone can keep my seat warm. That takes allot of the pressure off. In this new endeavor, I will have far further reaching responsibilities. I have some strong people depending on me and it feels good.
As far as working two jobs (so far). So far, my enthusiasm has made pi for the long hours. I know from experience that it will not last. I hope the crash is gentle.
Life is too short to be in a hurry.

TV Night
My best friend invites a bunch of people over on Thursday evenings to watch a week of TV in three hours. It is relay an excuse to eat junk and shoot the breeze with friends. We usually watch Survivor (bleach), Friends (bleach), Scrubs, and whatever grabs our fancy that week. The only thing missing is single women. We can't have it all I suppose.
I'm at TV night. The subject of conversation is stand alone print servers for the discriminating home geak and GPL vs. LGPL. We are ordering Jason's Deli. Remember, Sara doesn't want desert. I order cheesecake; their out, so I say forget it. My buddy Adam (who is placing the order by phone) has my back and orders me a cookie. I gripe about having to pay for a cookie I don't want. When the food gets here, no cookie. Some days it doesn't pay to be me.
Its amazing that their boss comes up every time they get together. I've complained about that before.
Kung-Pow Enter the Fist is the movie of choice this evening. "Wee-wee-weeeee". It has got to be the silliest movie made since Monty Python. The difference is Monty Python is still finny years later. OK, The bloopers are pretty good.
Ah, Scrubs. Proof that all TV does not yet suck. When are they going to come out with open source TV?
I just learned the proper term for the ex-girlfriend conversation I had recently. "Drama Queen." TV is educational.

No comments: